In British Columbia, all vehicle owners are required by law to purchase basic auto insurance from the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC). Vehicle owners may also purchase additional coverage, such as extended liability, collision, and comprehensive plans. Fill out the Autoplan Quick Quote Form to receive a quote by email.
Auto Insurance FAQ's and Tips
- Question: How can I pay for my car insurance?
Answer: We accept Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Direct Payment/Interac, Cash & Personal cheques. Monthly Financing is also available for those who qualify.
- Question: What is the shortest term of Auto Insurance I can buy?
Answer: You may purchase a policy from 3 months to a year. Temporary Operating Permits are also available from 1 to 15 days.
- Question: Can I buy coverage for a rented vehicle?
Answer: Yes. We have three options available:
- The cost is $10.00 per day with a $20.00 minimum premium covering you anywhere in Canada or the United States with a $300 deductible through ICBC.
- The cost is $12.00 per day per driver with a $15.00 minimum premium covering you anywhere in the world with a $100 deductible through a private company.
- The cost is $13.00 per day per vehicle with a $24.00 minimum premium covering you anywhere in the world with no deductible through another private company.
- Question: Can I phone in my change of address for Autoplan?
Answer: No. Bring in your current insurance papers and we will print out new forms for you. We will also change the address on your BC drivers licence if you wish.
- Question: Can I find out the Gold book price of a vehicle?
Answer: Yes. Simply call or e-mail your request to us. Let us know the year, make, model, and accessories of your vehicle.
- Question: What is a Roadstar?
Answer: If you have been claim free for nine years you may be eligible for the Roadstar package at $21 per year if you have full coverage with ICBC. The package includes $500 loss of use coverage, free insurance on rental cars, travel protection coverage, and lock rekeying coverage. You would also be eligible for the Roadside Plus package at $50 per year if you have full coverage with ICBC. This package includes $750 loss of use coverage, free insurance on rental cars, travel protection coverage, lock rekeying coverage, family world wide transportation, theft deductible waiver, destination assistance, and emergency roadside expense repayment up to $50 twice in a policy term. If you are not a roadstar you can still purchase the Roadside Plus package but the price is $78 per year.
- Question: If I'm from out of province do I need proof of my claim free driving record to get a safe driving discount?
Answer: Yes. A letter from your insurance company is required (a letter from your insurance agent/broker is not acceptable). You can get up to a 40% discount – that is 5% discount for each year of claim free driving up to a maximum of eight years. If you can prove 9 years continuous safe driving you will get a 43% discount. If you have had more than one insurer in the last 9 years you should get a letter from each insurer. We don't accept a claims free discount given by one insurer as proof of claims free experience by a prior insurer as many insurers are giving claim free discounts despite having a loss.
- Question: Is my ICBC Autoplan valid world wide?
Answer: No. ICBC Autoplan only covers you in Canada and the United States.
- Question: I just brought my vehicle into British Columbia. What inspections are required?
Answer: You need a mechanical inspection at an authorized inspection facility. One choice is A-1 Unity Auto Service. Phone 604-687-6646 for an appointment. They charge $79.00 per inspection including decal. Re-inspections are free. A second choice is Axle Alley Auto Repair Ltd. Call 604-875-9988 for an appointment. They charge $54.00 including decal. Re-inspections are $20.00 but this fee is waived if the repair work is done at Axle Alley. A third choice is Speedy Brake Centres Ltd. Phone 604-874-9977 for an appointment. They charge $49.95 including decal. AirCare inspection is not required until you want to renew your policy.
- Question: What is AirCare?
Answer: It is a program to reduce pollution caused by auto emissions in the lower mainland of British Columbia. Before you can renew your Autoplan Insurance you must have a passed AirCare inspection. If you fail the inspection you are allowed to purchase a three month policy once only until you obtain a passed inspection. If your insurance has expired and you need coverage to drive to the AirCare inspection station you may purchase a temporary permit at our office. The AirCare inspection must be done annually for vehicles built in 1991 or earlier. The inspection costs $23.00 (cash , Mastercard or Visa only). Air Care is not required for 2006 or newer model year vehicles. Air Care is not required for motorcycles, hybrid or electric vehicles, or Antique, Vintage or Collector plated vehicles. Other vehicles require Air Care once every two years at a cost of $45.00. For more information visit www.aircare.ca.